DIY toilet cleaner bombs – Let’s be honest, no one looks forward to cleaning the toilet because it isn’t a fun job but it is one of those jobs that does need to be done.
Have you thought about the harmful toxins found in your toilet cleaner? It’s OK, I didn’t take much notice of the chemicals either.
If you go into the bathroom and have a look at your toilet cleaner, you will see the label is littered with so many chemicals and most of which neither of us have probably never heard of. Of course, this is not good for the environment.
There has to be another way!
DIY toilet cleaner bombs – Let’s be honest, no one looks forward to cleaning toilets because it isn’t a fun job but it is one of those jobs that does need to be done.
Have you thought about the harmful toxins found in your toilet cleaner? It’s OK, I didn’t take much notice of the use of harsh chemicals either.
If you go into the bathroom and have a look at your toilet cleaner, you will see the label is littered with so many chemicals and most of which neither of us have probably never heard of. Of course, this is not good for the environment, especially when you see the following sentence on the label ‘may be harmful to the environment’.
There has to be another way!
And there is – the answer is DIY fizzy toilet bombs!
I’ve been learning how to make my own own cleaning products with natural, dry ingredients. Some have worked well, some not that great.
This blog post will have all the instructions you need for these homemade toilet bombs below will show you how you can make your own DIY toilet cleaner bombs because I’m all for making life easier and this is the easiest way I’ve found to clean!
They are really easy to use because all you have to do is drop one in the toilet bowl, and after it’s done fizzing, grab your toilet brush and you can start cleaning.
I bet you’re wondering – why DIY? if I can just buy them, why would I bother making my own?
- They are not littered with chemicals
- You can add your favourite essential oil
- You can make them into any shape you like (I will come to this!)
- They don’t pollute the environment
- You can save money (because who doesn’t want to save money)
- A great way to avoid plastic packaging
- And the best part – DIY is fun!
Let’s get started with the DIY toilet cleaner bombs
Here are some simple ingredients you will need :
- 1 cup Bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 cup of citric Acid
- Silicone molds ice cube tray (mine is shaped as penguins!)
- Spray bottle filled with tap water
- 30 – 40 drops of Essential oils of your choice (I have lemon oil)
- Large Bowl
Method for DIY toilet cleaner bombs recipe
- Add the bicarb soda and citric acid in a bowl and mix
- Add 30 – 40 drops of essential oil and mix
- Spray the mixture with water – 2 sprays and mix
- Keep spraying until you have sprayed the mixture with water about 20 times (two sprays at a time and mix)
- Don’t over water the mixture because it will start to see some fizzing action!
- Spoon the mixture into your silicone mold and firmly press down so it’s compact and all the edges are filled. You could use an ice cube trays but I found it easier to use silicone.
- Leave for 24 hours in a dry place and out of direct sunlight
- Carefully pop your DIY toilet cleaner bombs out and store in an airtight jar, airtight container or a glass jar with a lid will do.
So that’s it, you can have a go at this DIY recipe at home that works for me. Have fun with these diy toilet bombs and let me know how you get on with these fizzy tablets.
There are so many essential oils to choose from; lavender oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil. There are some great options available for pure essential oils for your homemade toilet cleaning bombs, all with natural ingredients. Other recipes suggest adding liquid soap, castile soap, and other dry ingredients (or even wet ingredients). Personally, I’ve never seen the need to add anything else, this works well for me and I don’t want to mix too many ingredients!
I’ve seen similar recipes to make bath bombs. I’ve never tried this personally.